Llanelly Tramways



Owner Llanelly Tramways Company
Opened
28th September 1882 (horse)
Operator Llanelly Tramways Company
Taken over May 1905 (British Power Company Limited, owners of the Llanelly and District Electric Lighting and Traction Company Limited)
Converted March/April (?) 1908 from 3 ft gauge to 4ft 8½ins
Taken over 1909 (Balfour, Beatty and Company Limited, via the Llanelly and District Electric Lighting and Traction Company Limited)
Operator Llanelly and District Electric Lighting and Traction Company Limited
Last horse tram 11th June 1911
First electric route 12th June 1911
Taken over (company) 1912 (Tramways Light and Power Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Balfour Beatty and Company Limited)
Named changed (company) 1924 (Llanelly and District Electric Supply Company Limited)
Closed
24th September 1932
Length 0.75 miles (horse); 6.23 mile (electric)
Gauge 3ft 0ins/4ft 8½ins (horse); 4ft 8½ins (electric)

Button description Pattern of button currently unknown

Comment Allthough Llanelly staff were certainly issued with uniforms in the electric era (see link), the pattern of the buttons is currently unknown. However, given that Balfour Beatty seem to have favoured the use of plain buttons on its other systems (except where it took over conerns that already issued marked buttons), it seems more than likely that the uniforms simply carried plain buttons.

In addition to the Llanelly Tramways, Balfour Beatty also owned, operated or had a significant interest in the following systems: Cheltenham and District Light Railway, City of Carlisle Electric Tramways, Dartford Council Light Railways, Dunfermline and District Tramways, Falkirk and District Tramways, Leamington and Warwick Electric Tramways, Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway, Luton Corporation Tramways, Mansfield and District Light Railway, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways and Wemyss and District Tramways.