Glasgow Corporation Tramways
Owner Glasgow Corporation
Opened 1st July 1872 (horse)
Operator (lessee) Glasgow Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited (GT&OCoLtd)
Took over (operation) 1st July 1894 - all lines owned by the Corporation but previously leased to the GT&OCoLtd
Took over (operation) 11th November 1896 - (Glasgow and Ibrox Tramway [horse] and Vale of Clyde Tramways [horse; steam]) - owned by the Govan Commissioners of Police, but previously leased to the GT&OCoLtd
First electric route 13th October 1898
Last horse service 14th April 1902
Took over (ownership) 1912 (Vale of Clyde Tramways and Glasgow and Ibrox Tramway - following expansion of the city's boundaries to encompass Govan)
Took over (operation) 1st January 1922 (Airdrie and Coatbridge Tramways [electric]) - from Airdrie and Coatbridge Town Councils
Took over (ownership) 1st August 1923 (Paisley District Tramways [electric])
Took over (ownership) 1923 (Airdrie and Coatbridge Tramways [electric])
Closed 4th September 1962
Length 141.37 miles
Gauge 4ft 7¾ins
Button description (GT&OCoLtd) Monogram of intertwined initials 'GO&TCL' with 'G' inverted about its vertical axis
Materials known Silver plate; brass
Button Line reference [None]
Button description (GCT) Title ('Glasgow Corporation Tramways') in circlet, surrounding arms (shield with fish, tree and bell, surmounted by a bishop with crozier), with fish supporters, all above motto: 'Let Glasgow Flourish'
Materials known Brass; gilt; nickel
Button Line reference [113/31]
Comments Evidence that the button opposite is indeed an issue of the GT&OCoLtd can be found in Glasgow Transport Museum, which has a horse brass from this company with the identical monogram (thanks to David Hughes and Kenny Delman for this information). The 'G' would appear to have been inverted about its vertical axis solely to give a more pleasing symmetry - the 'L' has also been given a tail, presumably to increase the symmetry with respect to the 'T'.
I've included two variants of the GCT button, the most notable difference being the dots between the title words; the second variant also exists as a small 2-piece brass blazer-style button, which is possibly a chinstrap button. Note that ‘tramways’ buttons were issued to staff up until the re-naming of November 1929 (to 'Glasgow Corporation Transport'), and apparently persisted for quite some time after this. Curiously, 'Glasgow Corporation Tramways' uniforms were also issued to Glasgow Subway staff after takeover of that company in 1923. Many thanks to Kenny Delman for this information.
The unusual gauge was to allow for the running of railway wagons over its lines in the dockside area, whilst the unusual symbols on the coat of arms are all associated with St Mungo.
Link For more information on Glasgow Corporation Tramways, and for numerous photos of badges and memorabilia, visit the following web site: Glasgow Transport Badges.