Great Grimsby Street Tramways



Owner Great Grimsby Street Tramways Company (a subsidiary of the Provincial Tramways Company)
Opened 4th June 1881 (horse)
Operator Great Grimsby Street Tramways Company
Last horse service 6th December 1901
First electric route 7th December 1901
Taken over 6th April 1925 (Grimsby Corporation Tramways) - lines within the corporation boundary
Taken over 15th July 1936 (Cleethorpes Urban District Council) - remaining routes
Length 6.3 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Upper case initials, 'GG.STTC', arranged in a cross formation between four flags, within a raised rim
Materials known Nickel
Button Line reference [None]

Comments The Provincial Group (Provincial Tramways Company) was established in 1872 in London, and at various times, either owned, controlled or operated the following systems: Borough of Portsmouth, Kingston, Fratton and Southsea Tramways; Cardiff Tramways; Cardiff District and Penarth Harbour Tramways; General Tramways of Portsmouth; Gosport and Fareham Tramways; Gosport Street Tramways; Great Grimsby Street Tramways; Landport & Southsea Tramway; London Southern Tramways; Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways; Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway; and Portsmouth Street Tramways.