Glasgow Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited



Owner Glasgow Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited (GT&OCoLtd), a subsidiary of the British and Foreign Tramways Company Ltd)
Opened 1st July 1872 (horse) - newly built lines owned by Glasgow Corporation
Operator (lessee) Glasgow Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited (GT&OCoLtd)
Took over (operation) 1st January 1873 - Govan line of the (Vale of Clyde Tramways)
Taken over (operation) 2nd July 1874 (Vale of Clyde Tramways) - Govan line, previously leased to the GT&OCoLtd
Company buy-out February 1878 (gained independence from the B&FTCoLtd)
Took over (operation) 28th May 1891 (Glasgow and Ibrox Tramway) - following that company's acquisition by the local authority, the Govan Commissioners of Police
Took over (lessee) 10th July 1893 - lines of the former Vale of Clyde Tramways, now owned by the Govan Commissioners of Police
Taken over (operation) 1st July 1894 (Glasgow Corporation) - all lines owned by the Corporation but previously leased to the GT&OCoLtd
Taken over (operation) 11th November 1896 (Glasgow Corporation) - all lines of the former Glasgow and Ibrox Tramway Company and the Vale of Clyde Tramways Company, previously leased to the GT&OCoLtd
Length 30.21 miles
Gauge 4ft 7¾ins

Button description Monogram of intertwined initials 'GO&TCL' with 'G' inverted about its vertical axis
Materials known Silver plate; brass
Button Line reference [None]

Comments Evidence that this button is indeed an issue of the GT&OCoLtd can be found in Glasgow Transport Museum, which has a horse brass from this company with the identical monogram (thanks to David Hughes and Kenny Delman for this information). The 'G' would appear to have been inverted about its vertical axis solely to give a more pleasing symmetry - the 'L' has also been given a tail, presumably to increase the symmetry with respect to the 'T'.