Gateshead and District Tramways



Owner Gateshead and District Tramways Company
Opened 22nd October 1883 (steam)
Operator Gateshead and District Tramways Company
Taken over August (?) 1899 (British Electric Traction Company Limited) - a provisional agreement having been signed on the 12th November 1897
Last steam service
8th May 1901
First electric route
9th May 1901
Ownership transferred 1st January 1914 (to the BETCo-owned Northern General Transport Company, along with the Jarrow and District Electric Traction Company Limited and the Tynemouth and District Electric Traction Company Limited)
Closed 4th August 1951
Length 12.47 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [113/16]

Comment The British Electric Traction Company (owner from 1899) had a common approach to all its subsidiaries (with the exception of its London operations), so staff working the electric services (from 1901 onwards) would have worn the standard BET 'Magnet and Wheel' button. Uniforms were clearly issued to steam tram conductors prior to the BETCo take-over, though whether they bore marked buttons is currently unclear; certainly, none have come to light, suggesting that they were either plain or that they bore a monogram or device which is not readily identifiable as an issue of the G&DTCo.