Lancaster Corporation Tramways



Owner Lancaster Corporation
Opened
14th January 1903 (electric)
Operator Lancaster Corporation
Closed 4th April 1930
Length 2.99 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Title (‘LANCASTER CORPORATION TRAMWAYS’) surrounding a stylised shield (bearing a lion and fleur-de-lis)
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [None]

Comments
The arms are based on those of Edmund, the first Earl of Lancaster.

The municipal tramway undertaking was always referred as 'Lancaster Corporation Tramways' during tramway days, even though battery-electric buses were introduced in 1917 and motorbuses at the end of 1924. It is therefore almost certain that tramcar staff were only ever issued uniforms bearing 'Lancaster Corporation Tramways' buttons.