Glasgow and Ibrox Tramway
Owner Glasgow and Ibrox Tramway Company
Opened 18th July 1879 (horse)
Operator Glasgow and Ibrox Tramway Company
Taken over (operation) 28th May 1891 (Glasgow Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited)
Taken over (ownership) May 1893 (Govan Commissioners of Police - the local authority)
Taken over (operation) 11th November 1896 - (Glasgow Corporation Tramways)
Taken over (ownership) 1912 (Glasgow Corporation Tramways - following expansion of the city's boundaries to encompass Govan)
Length 1.55 miles
Gauge 4ft 7¾ins
Button description (G&ITCo) Unclear whether uniforms were worn
Button description (GT&OCoLtd) Monogram of intertwined initials 'GO&TCL' with 'G' inverted about its vertical axis
Materials known Silver plate; nickel
Button Line reference [None]
Button description (GCT) Title ('Glasgow Corporation Tramways') in circlet, surrounding arms (shield with fish, tree and bell, surmounted by a bishop with crozier), with fish supporters, all above motto: 'Let Glasgow Flourish'
Materials known Brass; gilt; nickel
Button Line reference [113/31]
Comments Only a single photograph appears to have survived showing the crew of a Glasgow and Ibrox Tramway Company horsecar, and this is of such poor quality, that it is impossible to say whether the men are wearing uniforms or not; it is therefore unclear whether marked buttons ever existed, and certainly, none has so far come to light. Staff of the GT&OCoLtd would undoubtedly have worn the button opposite.
The unusual gauge was to allow for the running of railway wagons.