Falkirk and District Tramways



Owner Falkirk Electric Construction Syndicate Limited (took over the erstwhile Falkirk and District Tramways Company before construction began)
Opened
21st October 1905 (electric)
Operator Falkirk Electric Construction Syndicate Limited
Name changed May 1914 (to the Falkirk and District Tramways Company Ltd)
Taken over (ownership) April 1920 (Fife Tramway Light and Power Co - a Balfour Beatty company)
Name changed 1929 (to the Falkirk and District Traction Company Ltd - wholly owned subsidiary of the FTL&PCo Ltd)
Taken over (FTL&PCo) June 1935 (Scottish Motor Traction Company Limited)
Closed 21st July 1936
Length 7.45 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins

Button description (Pattern 1) ‘F&DTC’ in script lettering within a rim
Materials known Unknown
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2) Plain with scalloped rim
Materials known Brass; nickel
Button Line reference [None]

Comment Magnification of an early studio portrait of an F&DTC conductor indicates that buttons bore 'F&DTC' in script lettering (see link); these were however replaced by the Pattern 2 button around the time of the Great War.

In addition to the Falkirk and District Tramways Company, Balfour Beatty also owned, operated or had a significant interest in the following systems: Cheltenham and District Light Railway, City of Carlisle Electric Tramways, Dartford Council Light Railways, Dunfermline and District Tramways, Leamington and Warwick Electric Tramways, Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway, Llanelly Tramways, Luton Corporation Tramways, Mansfield and District Light Railway, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways and Wemyss and District Tramways.