Leamington and Warwick (Electric) Tramways



Owner
Leamington and Warwick Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited
Opened 21st November 1881 (horse)
Operator
Leamington and Warwick Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited
Taken over (company) 29th July 1898 (British Electric Traction Company Limited)
Company name changed 1902 (Leamington and Warwick Electrical Company Limited)
Last horse service May (?) 1905
First electric service 12th July 1905
Taken over (ownership) 1912 (Tramways Light and Power Company, a subsidiary of Balfour, Beatty and Company Limited)
Owning company renamed November 1921 (Midland Counties Electric Supply Company Limited)
Closed 16th August 1930
Length 3.0 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins (horse); 3ft 6ins (electric)

Button description Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [113/16]

Comment Photographs suggest that staff working the horse tram services wore informal attire (see link), so marked uniform buttons almost certainly never existed. Photos taken during the BET era show staff wearing the standard 'BET' 'Magnet and Wheel' cap badge, and they undoubtedly wore the standard 'BET' buttons as well. Following the Balfour Beatty take-over, all vestiges of the BET would have been eliminated, and given the former's uniform policy in respect of its other systems, it seems highly likely that the uniforms worn between 1913 and closure simply bore plain buttons.

In addition to the Leamington and Warwick Electric Tramways, Balfour Beatty also owned, operated or had a significant interest in the following systems: Cheltenham and District Light Railway, City of Carlisle Electric Tramways, Dartford Council Light Railways, Dunfermline and District Tramways, Falkirk and District Tramways, Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway, Llanelly Tramways, Luton Corporation Tramways, Mansfield and District Light Railway, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways and Wemyss and District Tramways.