Luton Corporation Tramways
Owner Luton Corporation
Opened 21st February 1908 (electric)
Operator (lessee) J G White and Company Limited
Lease transferred May 1909 (Balfour, Beatty and Company Limited)
Took over (operation) 21st February 1923 (Luton Corporation)
Closed 16th April 1932
Length 5.25 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins
Button description Pattern of button currently unknown
Comment To date, no marked Luton Corporation Tramways buttons have come to light, suggesting that staff were issued with plain unmarked buttons, at least prior to the Corporation take-over in 1923. After this date, it at least seems a possibility that staff were issued with uniforms bearing ‘Luton Corportation Transport’ buttons; however, evidence to support this is currently lacking.
In addition to the Luton Corporation Tramways, Balfour Beatty also owned, operated or had a significant interest in the following systems: Cheltenham and District Light Railway, City of Carlisle Electric Tramways, Dartford Council Light Railways, Dunfermline and District Tramways, Falkirk and District Tramways, Leamington and Warwick Electric Tramways, Llandudno and Colwyn Bay Electric Railway, Llanelly Tramways, Mansfield and District Light Railway, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways and Wemyss and District Tramways.