Giant's Causeway, Portrush and Bush Valley Tramway



Owner Giant's Causeway, Portrush and Bush Valley Railway and Tramway Company
Opened 29th January 1883 (steam)
Operator Giant's Causeway, Portrush and Bush Valley Railway and Tramway Company
First electric service 16th April 1883 (unofficial)
Electric opening 28th September 1883 (official)
Switch to overhead supply 26th July 1899
Last steam service mid-1920s
Closed
30th September 1943
Length 8.75 miles
Gauge 3ft 0ins

Button description Pattern of button currently unknown

Comment As the electric services were designed to draw power from a raised conductor rail outside the track, they were not considered safe enough for street running, so the sections in Portrush (from the town's station to the depot) and Bushmills (the branch line to the market place) were steam operated. In actual fact, and due to delays in finishing the power station, the entire service was steam operated for around the first 6 months of the line's life.

Numerous photographs showing staff of the Giant's Causeway Tramway have survived, and these clearly show that uniforms were worn (see link); marked buttons have however not come to light, suggesting that the buttons were either plain, or that they bore a monogram or device that is not readily identifiable as an issue of the company.