Liverpool and Prescott Light Railway
Owner Lancashire Light Railways Company Ltd (a subsidiary of the South Lancashire Electric Traction and Power Company Limited)
Opened 25th June 1902 (electric)
Operator New St Helens and District Tramways Company Ltd
Owning company taken over 2nd January 1906 (Lancashire United Tramways Limited)
Operating company taken over 2nd January 1906 (Lancashire United Tramways Limited)
Taken over 1st October 1919 (Liverpool Corporation Tramways)
Length 3.11 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins
Button description Title (‘City Tramways’) in a garter, surrounding Liver Bird
Materials known Brass; nickel
Button Line reference [113/41]
Comment It is currently unknown what marked buttons, if any, were worn by staff of the New St Helens and District Tramways Company (see link).
By acquiring the Lancashire Light Railways Company’s parent company (the South Lancashire Electric Traction and Power Company Ltd), Lancashire United Tramways Limited also gained control of the South Lancashire Tramways Company, as well as the moribund South Lancashire Electric Supply Company Ltd. The LUTL also went on (in October 1906) to acquire a controlling interest in the New St Helens and District Tramways Company, with which it shared several board members. The NStH&DTCo was the operator of both the Liverpool and Prescott Light Railway and the St Helens Corporation system (until 1st October 1919).