Gloucester Corporation Tramways
Owner Gloucester Corporation
Took over (assets) 30th September 1902 (City of Gloucester Tramways [horse])
Operator (lessee) City of Gloucester Tramways Company
Took over (operation) 1st January 1903 (Gloucester Corporation)
Last horse tram 17th March 1904
First electric route 7th May 1904
Operator Gloucester Corporation
Closed 11th January 1933
Length 9.75 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins (horse); 3ft 6ins (electric)
Button description Arms (shield with three chevrons and ten torteaux - three rows of three with a single one at the base) with lion supporters holding swords, surmounted by rampant lion in a mural crown, holding a sword and trowel, all above motto: ‘Fides Invicta Triumphat’ (Unconquered faith triumphs)
Materials known Brass; nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [None]
Comments Gloucester Corporation used a general untitled coat of arms pattern button for all its transport services - including the tramways - from the inception in 1902 up until 1936 when all services (by then bus only) were leased to the Bristol Tramways and Carriage Company Limited.
In heraldry, the precise naming of discs or roundels is dependent on their colour, torteaux (plural) being red discs. The motto apparently refers to the successful defence of the city during the Royalist siege of 1643.