Leeds City Tramways

Owner Leeds Corporation
Opened February 1890 (steam?)
Operator (lessee) Leeds Tramways Company
First electric service 29th October 1891 (first overhead electric route in Europe)
Operator (concession)
Thomson-Houston Company (Roundhay Park electric route only)
Took over
17th February 1894 (Leeds Tramways [steam; horse])
Operator Leeds Corporation (steam and horse lines)
Suspended 31st July 1896 (electric services - following the end of the THCo concession)
Reopened 2nd August 1897 (electric lines)
Operator Leeds Corporation
Closed 7th November 1959
Length 72.05 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Arms (shield with stars above a golden fleece, surmounted by an owl) with owl supporters above motto band, but without motto
Materials known Brass; nickel; chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2) Owl atop a torse
Materials known Nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Comment Tramway staff uniforms bore a general Leeds Corporation button (Pattern 1 - large; Pattern 2 - small). Curiously, although the band for the motto is included on the large buttons (Pattern 1), the actual motto — 'Pro Rege et Lege' (For King and Law) — is omitted.

For those interested, a torse is a twisted roll of fabric that was wound around the top of the helm and crest to hold the mantle in place.