Ilkeston Corporation Tramways



Owner Ilkeston Corporation
Opened
16th May 1903 (electric)
Operator IIkeston Corporation
Taken over (operation) 30th June 1916 (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways Company, a subsidiary of Balfour Beatty & Co)
Taken over (ownership) 30th September 1916 (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways Company)
Company renamed 1928 (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Traction Company)
Closed 15th January 1931
Length 3.78 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins

Button description (pre-1916) Municipal arms (a shield with a saltire, two cotton hanks and two gloves, all beneath a piece of lace, and surmounted by a bear's head holding a safety lamp) surrounded by the motto: 'LABOR OMNIA VINCIT’ (labour overcomes all things) in a ribbon, everything enclosed within a quatrefoil-shaped window
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (1916 onwards) Plain with scalloped rim
Materials known Brass; nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Comment In the absence of specific 'tramway' pattern buttons, it is possible that Ilkeston Corporation used this general untitled coat of arms pattern button for its tramway system from inception in 1903 up until the take-over by the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Tramways Company in 1916. From then on, staff wore N&DTCo uniforms which are thought to have carried plain buttons (see link).

A torse is a twisted roll of fabric that was wound around the top of the helm and crest to hold the mantle in place; a hank is a measure of specific lengths of cotton yarn