Landport and Southsea Tramways
Owner Landport and Southsea Tramways Company
Opened 15th May 1865 (horse)
Operator Landport and Southsea Tramways Company
Taken over (company) February 1878 (Provincial Tramways Company Limited)
Amalgamated August 1883 (with the General Tramways Company of Portsmouth, the Gosport Street Tramways Company, and the Portsmouth Street Tramways Company - all subsidiaries of the Provincial Tramways Company Limited); thereafter worked as part of the Portsmouth Street Tramways Company
Length 2.15 miles
Gauge 4ft 7¾ins
Button description Uniforms probably not worn
Comments Photographs of the Landport and Southsea Tramways, prior to the amalgamation with the Portsmouth Street Tramways Company, have not survived, so it is impossible to state whether or not uniforms were worn. However, given that photographs from the early days of the latter show tramcar staff wearing informal attire, it seems highly likely that the L&STCo did likewise, and that marked uniform buttons thus never existed.
The Provincial Group (Provincial Tramways Company Limited) was established in 1872 in London, and at various times, also owned the following companies: Cardiff Tramways Company Limited; General Tramways Company of Portsmouth; Gosport and Fareham Tramways; Gosport Street Tramways Company; Great Grimsby Street Tramways; London Southern Tramways; Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways; Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway; the Portsmouth (Borough), Kingston, Fratton and Southsea Tramways Company; and the Portsmouth Street Tramways Company.
The unusual gauge was to allow for the running of railway wagons over the system.