Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways



Owner Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways Company
Opened 18th March 1872 (horse)
Operator Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways Company
Taken over (company) 1872? (The Provincial Tramways Company Limited)
Electrified 18th November 1901
Taken over (track) 1901 (Plymouth Corporation - lines within the corporation boundary)
Operator (lessee) Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways Company
Taken over (track) 1901 (Devonport Corporation - lines within the corporation boundary)
Operator (lessee) Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways Company
Taken over 1st July 1922 (Plymouth Corporation)
Length 2.93 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins (horse); 3ft 6ins (electric)

Button description Plain with scalloped rim
Materials known Brass; nickel
Button Line reference [None]

Comments Although the PS&DTCo issued uniforms to staff during its electric era (1901 to 1922), these garments did not carry marked buttons. An excellent staff photo has survived (probably from 1922; see link),which clearly shows that the uniforms bore scalloped-rim buttons; whether these buttons were brass or nickel remains unknown.

The Provincial Group (Provincial Tramways Company Limited) was established in 1872 in London, and at various times, also owned the following companies: Cardiff Tramways Company Limited; General Tramways Company of Portsmouth; Gosport and Fareham Tramways; Gosport Street Tramways Company; Great Grimsby Street Tramways; Landport and Southsea Tramways Company; London Southern Tramways; Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways; Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway; the Portsmouth (Borough), Kingston, Fratton and Southsea Tramways Company; and the Portsmouth Street Tramways Company.