Cardiff District and Penarth Harbour Tramways Company



Owner Cardiff District and Penarth Harbour Tramways Company Ltd
Opened
29th November 1881 (horse)
Operator Solomon Andrews
Taken over (operation) 1st April 1887 (Provincial Tramways Company Limited) - operated as part of the Cardiff Tramways Company Limited
Taken over February 1903 (Cardiff Corporation)
Length 6.31 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Pattern of button unknown

Comment Perhaps uniquely amongst UK tramways, drivers were provided by the lessee, and conductors by the company. A photograph has survived which clearly shows that conductors were issued with uniforms (see link); an example of a marked button is however yet to come to light, suggesting that they were either plain, or that they bore some kind of device or lettering which is not readily identifiable as an issue of the CD&PHTCoLtd. Given that the line was worked by the Cardiff Tramways Company Limited from 1887 onwards, there remains a small possibility that conducting staff may eventually also have been provided by that company, which in the late 1890s, may have issued its conductors with uniforms (see link).

The Provincial Group (Provincial Tramways Company Limited) was established in 1872 in London and at various times, also owned and/or operated the following systems/companies: Cardiff Tramways Company; General Tramways Company of Portsmouth; Gosport and Fareham Tramways; Gosport Street Tramways Company; Great Grimsby Street Tramways; Landport and Southsea Tramways Company; London Southern Tramways; Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways; Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway; Portsmouth (Borough), Kingston, Fratton and Southsea Tramways Company; and the Portsmouth Street Tramways Company.