Cardiff Tramways Company



Owner Cardiff Tramways Company Limited (a subsidiary of the Provincial Tramways Company Limited)
Opened
12th July 1872 (horse)
Operator Cardiff Tramways Company Limited
Took over (operation) 1st April 1887 (Cardiff District and Penarth Harbour Tramways) following acquisition of the operating lease by the PTCoLtd)
Taken over 1st January 1902 (Cardiff Corporation)
Length 6.31 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Elaborate script initials (‘CTCL’)
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [113/22]

Comment Although CTCoLtd conductors may possibly have been issued with uniforms from the mid-to-late 1890s onwards, this remains unproven (see link). The pattern of button shown opposite is certainly a candidate for a CTCoLtd button, though there is absolutely no evidence to support that, other than the match in the initials.

The Provincial Group (Provincial Tramways Company Limited) was established in 1872 in London and at various times, also owned and/or operated the following systems/companies: General Tramways Company of Portsmouth; Gosport and Fareham Tramways; Gosport Street Tramways Company; Great Grimsby Street Tramways; Landport and Southsea Tramways Company; London Southern Tramways; Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport Tramways; Portsdown and Horndean Light Railway; Portsmouth (Borough), Kingston, Fratton and Southsea Tramways Company; and the Portsmouth Street Tramways Company.