Airdrie and Coatbridge Tramways



Owner Airdrie and Coatbridge Tramways Co (a subsidiary of the British Electric Traction Company Limited - BETCo)
Opened 8th February 1904 (electric)
Operator Airdrie and Coatbridge Tramways Co
Ownership transferred 24th September 1913 (Scottish General Transport Company - a wholly owned subsidiary of BETCo)
Taken over (ownership)
20th September 1920 (Airdrie and Coatbridge Town Councils)
Operator Airdrie and Coatbridge Tramways Co
Taken over (operation) 19th December 1921 (Glasgow Corporation)
Taken over (ownership) 1st January 1922 (Glasgow Corporation)
Length 3.63 miles
Gauge 4ft 7¾ins

Button description
Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; nickel; chrome; black (vulcanite)
Button Line reference [113/16]

Photos (see link) show uniformed staff wearing the standard 'BETCo' 'Magnet and Wheel' cap badge, and they undoubtedly wore the standard 'BETCo' buttons as well. The Scottish General Transport Company was expressly set up by BETCo to manage its tramway undertakings in Scotland, namely, the A&CT, the Rothesay Tramways Company and the Greenock and Port Glasgow Tramways Company.

Comment