Vale of Clyde Tramways



Owner Vale of Clyde Tramways Company
Opened 1st January 1873 (horse)
Operator (lessee) Glasgow Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited (GT&OCoLtd)
Took over (operation) 2nd July 1874 - Vale of Clyde Tramways Company
First steam service 21st July 1877
Taken over 10th July 1893 (Govan Commissioners of Police - the local authority)
Operator (lessee) Glasgow Tramways and Omnibus Company Limited (GT&OCoLtd)
Taken over (operation) 11th November 1896 (Glasgow Corporation Tramways)
Taken over (ownership) 7th August 1912 (Glasgow Corporation Tramways - following Glasgow's annexation of Govan)
Length 4.14 miles
Gauge 4ft 7¾ins

Button description (GT&OCoLtd)
Monogram of intertwined initials 'GO&TCL' with 'G' inverted about its vertical axis
Materials known Silver plate; nickel
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (VofCTCo) Unclear whether uniforms were worn

Button description (GCT) Title ('Glasgow Corporation Tramways') in circlet, surrounding arms (shield with fish, tree and bell, surmounted by a bishop with crozier), with fish supporters, all above motto: 'Let Glasgow Flourish'
Materials known Brass; gilt; nickel
Button Line reference [113/31]

Comments The GT&OCoLtd worked the Vale of Clyde Tramways with horse traction from 1873 to 1874, and again from 1893 to 1896, conductors (see link) would undoubtedly have worn the monogram button depicted. Whether any specifically marked buttons were issued by the Vale of Clyde Tramways Company during its 19 years (1874-93) as operator is currently unknown, as photos depicting crews appear not to have survived.

The VoCTCo also owned and operated a section of the Greenock and Port Glasgow Tramways (see link), though this was geographically unconnected with the company's Govan lines.

The unusual gauge was to allow for the running of railway wagons.