Paisley District Tramways
Owner Paisley District Tramways Company
Took over 17th September 1903 (Paisley Tramways [horse]) - closed on 21st November 1903
First electric route 13th June 1904
Operator Paisley District Tramways Company
Taken over 1st August 1923 (Glasgow Corporation Tramways)
Length 18.25 miles
Gauge 4ft 7¾ins
Button description Title ('Paisley District Tramways') in circlet surrounding elaborate script initials: 'PDT'
Materials known Brass; nickel
Button Line reference [114/55]
Comments At some point, control of the company passed into the hands of the British Thomson-Houston Company Limited (BTH). BTH also owned, operated or controlled the following systems: Cork Electric Tramways, Chatham and District Light Railway, Isle of Thanet Electric Tramways, and Lanarkshire Tramways. Interestingly, the buttons of all these companies have very little in common stylistically, suggesting that BTH left this aspect of tramway operation to the tramway companies themselves.
The unusual gauge was to allow for the running of railway wagons over the system.