Heywood Corporation Tramways



Owner Heywood Corporation
Took over October 1904 (assets of the former Bury, Rochdale and Oldham Steam Tramways Co Ltd within the Heywood area)
Took over (operation) 20th December 1904 - service previously provided by Rochdale Corporation Tramways between 11th February 1904 and 10th June 1904, when it abruptly ceased (steam)
Last day of steam services 20th September 1905
First electric service 17th November 1905 - Heap Bridge to Heywood Market Place and Hopwood
Operator Bury Corporation Tramways (possibly run as a joint service but with Heywood-owned trams carrying the livery of Bury)
Taken over 20th December 1905 - newly electrified route from Heywood boundary to Heywood Town Centre
Operator Rochdale Corporation Tramways (possibly run as a joint service but with Heywood-owned tramscarrying the livery of Rochdale)
Taken over (lease) 19th May 1928 (newly built Hollin Lane to Heywood line, owned by Heywood and Middleton Corporations) - worked jointly by Manchester Corporation Tramways and Bury Corporation Tramways
Length 4.33 miles (steam era)
Gauge 3ft 6ins; 4ft 8½ins

Button description
Uniforms not worn

Comment Photographs indicate that Heywood Corporation continued the policy of its immediate predecessors (Rochdale Corporation Tramways and the 'BR&OSTCoLtd') and that no uniforms were issued to staff operating the steam tramway service (see link). It is therefore highly unlikely that marked uniform buttons ever existed. Following cessation of steam services, Heywood's lines were subsequently electrified and were worked by Bury and Rochdale Corporations; there is however some suggestion that Heywood actually paid for trams that were liveried and operated by Bury and Rochdale, which if true, means that Heywood effectively remained a tramway operator beyond 1905. The Hopwood branch was apparently leased to Manchester Corporation after the latter had built a new line to Hopwood following its 1925 take-over of Middleton Electric Tramways.