Bury Corporation Tramways
Owner Bury Corporation
Opened 3rd June 1903 (electric)
Operator Bury Corporation
Took over 13th July 1904 (lines within the borough boundaries, including Tottington and Unsworth, formerly owned by the Bury, Rochdale and Oldham Steam Tramways Co Ltd)
Took over (operation) 17th November 1905 - Heywood Corporation owned lines from Heap Bridge to Heywood Market Place and Hopwood
Took over (operation) 19th May 1928 (newly built Hollin Lane to Heywood line, owned by Heywood and Middleton Corporations) - worked jointly with Manchester Corporation Tramways
Closed 13th February 1949
Length 13.67 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins
Button description Title ('Corporation of Bury') in garter, surrounding arms (quartered shield with anvil, fleece, papyrus plant and crossed shuttles, surmounted by helmet, underneath a bee between two cotton flowers)
Materials known Brass; chrome
Button Line reference [None]
Comment In the absence of specific 'tramway' or indeed 'transport' pattern buttons, it would appear that Bury Corporation used this general titled coat of arms pattern button for all its transport services - including the tramways - from its inception in 1903 up until its demise in 1969. This pattern of button is included in the National Tramways Museum (Crich) button collection as a 'Bury Corporation Tramways' issue. The brass issues have smaller lettering, whereas the chrome examples - which are almost certainly much later - have larger lettering, giving them a 'busier' feel.
Link Visit Peter Gould's site for more information on Bury Corporation Transport.