Edinburgh and District Tramways



Owner Edinburgh and District Tramways Company (a subsidiary of Messrs Dick Kerr and Co Ltd)
Took over (lease) July 1894 (Edinburgh Corporation-owned lines leased to Messrs Dick Kerr and Co Ltd, and formerly worked by the Edinburgh Street Tramways Company [horse])
Took over (lease) 31st January 1896 (Edinburgh Corporation-owned Waterloo Place to Jocks Lodge section of the Portobello line, formerly owned and worked by the Edinburgh Street Tramways Company)
Took over (operation) 1st January 1897 (Edinburgh Northern Tramways [cable] - worked by agreement until the corporation take-over had been formalised on 1st July 1897)
Took over (lease) 30th June 1898 (remainder of Edinburgh Corporation-owned Portobello line, formerly owned and worked by the Edinburgh Street Tramways Company)
Last horse tram 27th August 1907
First electric route 1910 (up to this point the system had been almost wholly cable operated)
Taken over (operation) 1st July 1919 (Edinburgh Corporation Tramways)
Length 18.65 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Title ('The Edinburgh & District Tramways Co Ltd') surrounding arms ( shield with triple-towered castle)
Materials known Brass; nickel
Button Line reference [113/29]

Comment
The triple-towered castle on the shield is the main armorial device of the City of Edinburgh