Farnworth Council Tramways



Owner Farnworth Urban District Council
First electric service 13th April 1900 (Moses Gate to Black Horse)
Operator (lessee) Bolton Corporation
Opened 9th January 1902 (newly constructed lines)
Operator Farnworth Urban District Council
Took over (operation)
20th February 1902 (Kearsley Urban District Council - newly built line to Clifton)
Took over (operation)
2nd June 1902 (Bolton Corporation Tramways - Moses Gate to Black Horse line previously leased to Bolton Corporation Tramways
Taken over (operation) 1st April 1906 (South Lancashire Tramways Company) - including tramcars, but not the track
Operator (lessee) South Lancashire Tramways Company
Taken over (operation)
16th December 1933 (Bolton Corporation Tramways) - Moses Gate, Black Horse, Walkden route, formerly worked by South Lancashire Tramways
Operator (lessee) Bolton Corporation Tramways
Closed 12th November 1944
Length 4.65 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Pattern of buttons currently unknown.

Comments Farnworth UDC only operated trams itself for just over four years, and whilst its staff definitely wore uniforms bearing metal buttons (see link), marked buttons are yet to come to light. This suggests that they were either plain, or that they bore a monogram of device of some description that is not readily identifiable as an issue of tramway.

Farnworth Local Board (later Urban District Council), together with Bolton Corporation, Astley Bridge and Kearsley Local Boards (later Urban District Councils) built and owned the track and infrastructure of the Bolton and Suburban Tramways (see link). The line was worked by a local contractor, Edmund Holden and Company limited. The track in Astley Bridge subsequently passed into Bolton's ownership when the latter absorbed the former in 1898, whereas the track in Farnworth and Kearsley continued to remain in the ownership of the UDCs, even when Bolton Corporation purchased the assets and leases of Edmund Holden and Company in 1899.