Dublin and Lucan Steam Tramway, later the Dublin and Lucan Electric Railway



Owner Dublin and Lucan Steam Tramway Company
Opened 1st June 1881 (steam)
Operator Dublin and Lucan Steam Tramway Company
Took over (lease) by 30th June 1890 (Lucan, Leixlip and Celbridge Steam Tramway) - newly opened line from Lucan to Leixlip
Operator Dublin and Lucan Steam Tramway Company
Name changed 1897 (to the Dublin and Lucan Electric Railway) as a prelude to regauging and electrification
Lease relinquished end of October 1897 (Lucan, Leixlip and Celbridge Steam Tramway Company) on closure of the Lucan to Leixlip line
First electric service 8th March 1900
Took over (lease) Late 1912 (Lucan and Leixlip Electric Railway) - newly opened electric line from Lucan to Leixlip
Operator Dublin and Lucan Electric Railway
Closed 29th January 1925
Taken over 7th July 1927 (Dublin United Tramways Company)
Reopened 14th May 1928 after relaying to the DUTCo standard gauge of 5ft 3ins
Operator Dublin United Tramways Company
Closed 14th April 1940
Length 8.5 miles
Gauge 3ft 0 ins; 3ft 6ins

Button description (1881 to 1900) Pattern of button currently unknown

Button description (1900 to 1925) Script initials

Button description (1928 to 1940) Elaborate script initials (‘DUT’) within a scalloped rim
Materials known Nickel; brass; chrome
Button Line reference [113/26]

Comment The D&LSTCo clearly issued conductors with uniforms with metal buttons (see link); hwoever, as none have survived, it seems probably that the buttons were either plain, or that they bore initials or a monogram that is not readily identifiable as an issue of this company. According to David Froggatt's 'Railway Buttons, Badges and Uniforms' (Malaga Books; 1986), the D&LER did in fact use script initials buttons, though I have yet to see an example.

This system went through two regaugings, firstly from 3 ft to 3ft 6ins as part of its conversion to electric traction, though most unusually with the steam stock also being regauged as part of this exercise, and two years after closure, to 5ft 3 ins following the line's acquisition by the Dublin United Tramway Company