Cavehill and Whitewell Tramway


Owner Cavehill and Whitewell Tramway Company
Opened 1st July 1882 (steam)
Operator Cavehill and Whitewell Tramway Company
Horse traction introduced 1892
Last steam service 1895
Taken over 1902 (controlling interest gained by the British Electric Traction Company Limited)
Last horse service 1905
First electric service
12th February 1906
Taken over 1st June 1911 (Belfast Corporation)
Length 4.29 miles
Gauge 4ft 8ins (steam/horse) / 4ft 8½ins (electric)

Button description (steam and horse era) Uniforms not worn

Button description (slectric era) Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [113/16]

Comment Although photographs of the C&WT are rare, it is almost certain that staff operating the electric services wore uniforms which bore standard 'BETCo' 'Magnet and Wheel' buttons.