Folkestone, Sandgate and Hythe Tramways



Owner Folkestone, Sandgate and Hythe Tramways Company
Opened 18th May 1891 (horse)
Operator Folkestone, Sandgate and Hythe Tramways Company
Taken over 1893 (South Eastern Railway Company - a major shareholder from the outset)
Owners name changed 1899 (to the South Eastern and Chatham Railway, following amalgamation of the SER with the London Chatham and Dover Railway)
Closed 30th September 1921
Length 3.36 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Company initials ('SER') above a Queen's Crown (in the centre) and laurel wreath (beneath), all within a rope edge
Materials known Brass; nickel (latter for police only)
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2) Company initials ('SECR') above a Queen's Crown (in the centre) and laurel wreath (beneath), all within a rope edge
Materials known Brass; nickel (latter for police only)
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 3) Company initials ('SECR') above a King's Crown (in the centre) and laurel wreath (beneath), all within a rope edge
Materials known Brass; nickel (latter for police only)
Button Line reference [None]

Comment Photos (see link) show that following the full take-over by the SER, and up until the Great War, staff were issued with uniforms these probably bore standard issue SER buttons up until 1899, thereafter SECR buttons. Although the SER and SECR were to all intents and purposes operated as one company from 1899, they were in fact never formally merged, and SER buttons with King's Crowns are known to have been made as late as 1907 (thanks to Rex Butler for this information). These latter buttons are however rare, suggesting that they may only have been issued to headquarters staff (of the separate company) rather than operational staff, so it seems reasonable to assume that employees of the FS&HT were issued with standard SECR buttons from 1899 onwards (Queen's Crown until 1901 and King's Crown thereafter).