City of Oxford and District Tramways Company Ltd
Owner City of Oxford and District Tramways Company Limited
Opened 1st December 1881 (horse)
Operator City of Oxford and District Tramways Company Limited
Taken over 31st December 1906 (Oxford Corporation)
Operator (lessee) 1907 (City of Oxford Electric Tramways Limited - a subsdiary of the National Electric Construction Company Limited).
Closed August 1914
Length 5.25 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins
Button description Pattern of button currently unknown
Comment Although staff wore informal but robust attire (see link) for most of the tramway's existence, by the mid-Edwardian era (circa 1906), conductors were certainly wearing uniforms, so it is possible that marked buttons were issued in later years. However, the fact that marked buttons have not come to light, nor are any known from the other five NEC-owned tramways (see below), it seems highly likely that the buttons were plain.
The NEC also owned and/or operated the Dewsbury, Ossett and Soothill Nether Tramways (1908-1931); Mexborough and Swinton Tramways (1907-1929); Musselburgh and District Tramways (1904-1928); Rhondda Tramways (1908-1934); and Torquay Tramways (1907-1934).