Darlington Corporation Light Railways



Owner Darlington Corporation
Took over 24th January 1902 (Darlington Tramways [horse])
Operator (lessee) C J O'Dowd
Last horse tram 18th August 1903
First electric route 1st June 1904
Operator Darlington Corporation
Closed 10th April 1926
Length 4.87 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins

Button description (Pattern 1)
Title ('Borough of Darlington') in scalloped rim, surrounding arms (shield with chevron, bull's head, locomotive and waggons, surmounted by a torse with miner's arm holding a pick); the crest is flanked by the date '1867' whilst the arms are flanked by a mine and church, all above motto: 'Floreat Industria' (Let industry flourish?)
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2)
Title ('County Borough of Darlington') in scalloped rim, surrounding arms (shield with chevron, bull's head, locomotive and waggons, surmounted by a torse with miner's arm holding a pick), all above motto: 'Floreat Industria' (Let industry flourish?)
Materials known Brass; chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Comment
A coat of arms was not officially granted to the Borough of Darlington until 1960, so the arms shown are unofficial and can therefore only be regarded as 'assumed'. The train (locomotive and waggons) refers of course to the Stockton and Darlington Railway, the bull's head to the local, pioneering work done in breeding shorthorn cattle;,whilst the date (1867) refers to the founding of the municipal borough. A torse is a twisted roll of fabric that was wound around the top of the helm and crest to hold the mantle in place.

In the absence of specific 'tramway' or indeed 'transport' pattern buttons, it would appear that Darlington Corporation used these general titled coat of arms pattern buttons for all its transport and municipal staff, including tramways. The Pattern 2 button post-dates the Pattern 1, reflecting an increase in the size of the borough (1915).