Edinburgh Corporation Tramways



Owner Edinburgh Corporation
Took over 9th December 1893 (Edinburgh Street Tramways [horse] - lines within the city boundaries, excluding Portobello line, along with staff, trams and horses working those lines, which it subsequently sold to the lessee)
Lessee (operator) Messrs Dick Kerr and Company Limited
Lease transferred July 1894 (Edinburgh and District Tramways Company Ltd, a subsidiary of Messrs Dick Kerr and Co Ltd)
Took over 31st January 1896 (Edinburgh Street Tramways [horse) - Waterloo Place to Jocks Lodge section of the Portobello line)
Lessee (operator) Edinburgh and District Tramways Company Ltd
Took over 1st July 1897 (Edinburgh Northern Tramways [cable])
Lessee (operator) Edinburgh and District Tramways Company (worked the line by agreement from 1st January 1897 until the take-over had been formalised)
Took over 30th June 1898 (Edinburgh Street Tramways - remainder of the Portbello line)
Lessee (operator) Edinburgh and District Tramways Company Ltd
Took over (operation) 1st July 1919 (Edinburgh and District Tramways [cable; electric])
Took over 20th November 1920 (Leith Corporation Tramways) - on the incorporation of Leith into Edinburgh
Last cable tram 23rd June 1923
Named changed early 1928 (to Edinburgh Corporation Transport Department)
Took over (operation) 1st March 1928 (Musselburgh and District Tramways) - Joppa to Levenhall section
Took over (ownership) 1932 (Musselburgh and District Tramways)
Closed 16th November 1956
Length 47.25 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Title ('TRAMWAYS'), within a raised rim, above the municipal arms (a shield bearing a triple-towered castle upon a rock), with an anchor and cable crest, and maiden and doe supporters, all above the motto: 'NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA'
Materials known Nickel
Button Line reference [113/28]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title ('TRANSPORT'), within a raised rim, above the municipal arms (a shield bearing a triple-towered castle upon a rock), with an anchor and cable crest, and maiden and doe supporters, all above the motto: 'NISI DOMINUS FRUSTRA'
Materials known Nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Comment
The doe is closely associated with St Giles, the patron saint of Edinburgh, whilst the maiden alludes to the castle, which was previously called 'The Castle of Maidens'.

All buttons known, with the exception of small chrome size, are of 2-piece, open-backed construction.

The name of the department was changed to 'Edinburgh Corporation Transport' early in 1928, and the title was certainly being applied to newly painted trams in 1929. Tramcar staff would therefore have been issued with uniforms bearing Pattern 2 buttons from the end of the 1920s onwards.