Grimsby and Immingham Electric Railway (Grimsby District Electric Railway)



Owner Great Central Railway Company
Opened
15th May 1912
Operator Great Central Railway Company
Ownership transferred 1st January 1923 (to the London and North Eastern Railway Company, following its creation, at the railway 'grouping' of 1923, out of several constituent railway companies, one of them being the GCR)
Nationalised 1st January 1948 (responsibility for the tramway passed to the British Transport Commission, whose railway operating arm, the Railway Executive, was branded as British Railways)
Closed 30th June 1956 (1.25 miles of street tramway between Corporation Bridge and Cleveland Bridge)
Closed 1st July 1961 (remainder of the tramway, mostly inter-urban in nature)
Length 7.75 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Block letters ‘GCR’
Materials known Nickel; brass
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2) Script initials ‘LNER’ with loop over the ‘E’
Materials known Brass; nickel
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 3) Script initials ‘LNER
Materials known Brass; nickel; black horn
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 4) ‘LNER’ eye logo
Materials known Brass; gilt; chrome
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 5) Script initials ‘NE
Materials known Black horn
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 6) Title (‘British Railways’) around a wheel
Materials known Brass; chrome
Button Line reference [None]


Comments The GCR always referred to the tramway as the Grimsby District Electric Railway, the more familiar Grimsby and Immingham Electric Railway being introduced by the LNER.