Kidderminster and Stourport Electric Tramway



Owner Kidderminster and Stourport Electric Tramway Company Ltd (a subsidiary of the British Electric Traction Company Ltd)
Opened 28th May 1898 (electric)
Operator Kidderminster and Stourport Electric Tramway Company Ltd
Ownership transferred 19th December 1898 (to the Kidderminster and District Electric Light and Traction Company Ltd - a British Electric Traction Company Ltd subsidiary)
Ownership transferred October 1915 to the Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee (another British Electric Traction Company Ltd entity)
Closed 2nd April 1929
Length 4.6 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins

Button description Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [113/16]

Comment BET had a common approach to all its subsidiaries (with the exception of its London operations), so staff working the electric services (from 1903 onwards) would have worn the standard BET 'Magnet and Wheel' button. It is currently unclear what uniforms were worn prior to 1899, and by staff working the steam services up until their discontinuation..

The history of BET-owned tramways in the Black Country is a complex one. BET essentially started by purchasing shares in Birmingham and Midland Tramways Ltd (steam) and then rapidly expanded their influence by gaining control of several other key tramways. On 1st July 1904, BET transferred its shares in these other companies to the Birmingham and Midland Tramways Co Ltd, a company which it directly controlled. The six systems were from then on operated by the Birmingham and Midland Tramways Joint Committee, which comprised board members of the individual concerns:

- Birmingham and Midland Tramways (via the Birmingham and Midland Tramways Co Ltd)
- City of Birmingham Tramways (via the City of Birmingham Tramways Co Ltd)
- Dudley, Stourbridge and District Electric Tramways (via the Dudley, Stourbridge and District Electric Traction Co Ltd)
- Kidderminster and Stourport Electric Tramway (via Kidderminster and District Electric Light and Traction Co Ltd) - from 1917
- Kinver Light Railway (owned by the DSDET)
- South Staffordshire Tramways (via the South Staffordshire Tramways [Lessee] Company Limited)
- Wolverhampton District Electric Tramways (via Wolverhampton District Electric Tramways Ltd)

The B&MTJC worked both in conjunction, as well as in competition with, its many local authorities, many of whom had their own ambitions. This was ultimately to cause the downfall of the Committee, with its last lines being handed over to Walsall Corporation in 1930.