Torquay Tramways



Owner Torquay Tramways Co Ltd (a subsidiary of the National Electric Construction Co Ltd - known as the NEC)
Opened 4th April 1907 (electric)
Operator Torquay Tramways Co Ltd
Taken over 1st January 1931 British Electric Traction Company Limited (following its acquisition of the NEC)
Operator Torquay Tramways Co Ltd
Closed 31st January 1934
Length 5.25 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins

Button description Pattern of button currently unknown

Comment Although the Torquay Tramways Company clearly issued uniforms (see link), the fact that marked buttons have not come to light, nor are any known from the other five NEC-owned tramways (see below), it seems highly likely that the buttons were plain.

The NEC also owned and/or operated the City of Oxford Tramways (1907-1914); Dewsbury, Ossett & Soothill Nether Tramways (1908-1931); Mexborough and Swinton Tramways (1907-1929); Musselburgh and District Tramways (1904-1928); and Rhondda Tramways (1908-1934).