Walthamstow Council Light Railways



Owner Walthamstow Urban District Council
Opened 3rd June 1905 (electric)
Operator Walthamstow Urban District Council
Named changed 9th November 1929 (to Walthamstow Borough Council)
Taken over 1st July 1933 (London Transport)
Length 9.14 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Monogram of interwoven initials 'WDC'
Materials known Gilt; black horn
Button Line reference [None]

Button description (Pattern 2) Monogram of interwoven initials ‘WBC’
Materials known Brass; black horn
Button Line reference [None]

Comment An example of the Pattern 1 button was to be found in the extensive button collection of the late Bill Bristow; his records indicated that he obtained the button many years ago directly from Walthamstow Council. The initials on the Pattern 1 and Pattern 2 buttons presumably stand for 'Walthamstow District Council' and ‘Walthamstow Borough Council’, respectively, the latter reflecting Walthamstow’s elevation to borough status in 1929.