Yorkshire (Woollen District) Electric Tramways / Spen Valley Tramways



Owner Yorkshire (Woollen District) Electric Tramways Company (a subsidiary of the British Electric Traction Company Limited)
Opened
18th February 1903 (electric)
Operator
Yorkshire (Woollen District) Electric Tramways Company
Took over (lease) 1st January 1906 (rebuilt formation of the former Dewsbury, Batley and Birstal Tramway), formally owned by BET but municipalised in 1905, as well as new corporation-built lines (owned by Batley Corporation [6.27 miles], Birkenshaw UDC [0.01 miles], Birstal UDC [0.93 miles], Dewsbury Corporation [2.94 miles] and Spenborough UDC [0.14 miles])
Took over (operation) 1931 (Dewsbury, Ossett and Soothill Nether Tramways [electric]) following the purchase of that system's parent company (the National Electric Construction Company Limited) by BET
Closed 31st October 1934
Length 22.54 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [113/16]

Comment Unusually, as well as track, Batley Corporation also owned a number of tramcars (eight in total) which carried the corporation livery.