West Ham Corporation Tramways
Owner West Ham Corporation
Took over 1st July 1903 (North Metropolitan Tramways [horse]) - lines in West Ham (in stages)
Operator West Ham Corporation
First electric route 27th February 1904
Took over (operation) 10th March 1909 (Ilford Council/Corporation Tramways) - Ilford Hill lease (held by East Ham Corporation Tramways) amended to include West Ham
Taken over 1st July 1933 (London Transport)
Length 16.80 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins
Button description Title (‘West Ham') above arms (shield divided into five: sailing ship above diagonal lines on the left; crossed hammers above diagonal lines on the right; a crosier in the middle; surmounted by a rising sun upon a torse, with a sword and a crosier) all above motto: 'Deo Confidimus' (We trust in God)
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [None]
Comment In the absence of specific 'tramway' pattern buttons, it would appear that West Ham Corporation used this general titled coat of arms pattern button for its tramway staff from its inception in 1903 up until the takeover of 1933.
A torse is a twisted roll of fabric that was wound around the top of the helm and crest to hold the mantle in place.