Salford Corporation Tramways
Owner Salford Corporation
Opened 17th May 1877 (horse)
Operator (lessee) Manchester Carriage Company (via Messrs Busby and Turton)
Merger (operator) 1880 ('MCC' merged with the Manchester Suburban Tramways Company to form the Manchester Carriage and Tramways Company Limited)
Lease transferred 25th June 1890 (from Busby and Turton to the 'MC&TCoLtd')
Took over (operation) 28th April 1901 - lines owned by Salford Corporation and various local authorities
First electric route 4th October 1901
Took over (operation) 30th October 1905 - Westinghouse Circle line of Trafford Park Tramways (operated as a through service together with Manchester Corporation Tramways)
Took over (operation) 1913 (South Lancashire Tramways) - Winton to Worsley line
Took over (operation) 9th August 1925 (Rhodes to Middleton line of the former Middleton Electric Traction Company, purchased by Middleton Corporation and leased to Manchester Corporation Tramways)
Closed 31st March 1947
Length 38.80 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins
Button description Title ('Salford Corporation Tramways') surrounding arms (stylised shield, with a shuttle, seven bees, three wheatsheaves, two millrinds and a cotton bale - surmounted by a lion with pennant) with dog and antelope supporters, all above motto: ‘Integrity and Industry’
Materials known Nickel; Japanned brass
Button Line reference [114/60]
Comment The initial lease for the first horse tramway (The Pendleton and Kersal Tramway), later known as ‘The Manchester and Salford Tramways’, was granted to Messrs Busby and Turton jointly by the corporations of Salford and Manchester. Shortly before the line was opened, a deal was struck (by Busby and Turton) to transfer all their tramway assets and interests to the Manchester Carriage Company. This arrangement was reached without the knowledge of the two corporations - who strenuously objected - and led to an endless series of disputes, a situation that persisted for 13 years. Throughout this period, the de facto operator of the corporation lines was the Manchester Carriage Company (and its successor, the Manchester Carriage and Tramway Company Limited), even though all negotiations were conducted through Busby and Turton!
Numerous photographs of ‘MCC’ and ‘MC&TC’ staff indicate that no uniform was worn. Staff appear to be well-turned out, but in a mixture of jackets and hats (eg, flat caps; bowlers etc); it therefore seems extremely unlikely that marked buttons ever existed for these companies.
The coat of arms on the corporation-era button is actually that of the Borough of Salford, and not the City of Salford; although the latter contains elements of the former, it is actually much later (1974) and differs significantly. For the curious amongst you, a 'millrind' is the iron centre of a mill stone.