Tynemouth and District Tramways



Owner Tynemouth and District Tramways Company Limited
Opened 30th June 1880 (horse)
Operator Tynemouth and District Tramways Company Limited
Taken over (operation) December 1880 (Mr Winby [lessee])
Sold (by the liquidator) 30th September 1881 (to a Mr Surtees)
Taken over (company) 23rd April 1884 (North Shields and District Tramways Company Limited)
First steam service April 1884
Last horse service April 1884 (?)
Liquidation August 1886
Taken over June 1890 (North Shields and Tynemouth District Tramways Limited)
Taken over 1897 (British Electric Traction Company [BETCo])
Name changed 1899 (to the Tynemouth and District Electric Traction Company Limited)
Closed for electrification 1900
Re-opened 18th March 1901 (electric)
Ownership transferred
1914 (to the Northern General Transport Company; 44% owned by the British Electric Traction Company and 44% owned by the London and North Western Railway Company)
Closed 4th August 1931
Length 4.23 miles
Gauge 3ft 0ins (horse and steam); 3ft 6ins (electric)


Button description (horse and steam eras)
Uniforms not worn

Button description (electric era)
Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; chrome; black horn
Button Line reference [113/16]

Comments
The few extant photographs of the steam-worked era, albeit rather late, clearly show that uniforms were not worn (see link); although photographs of the early horse operations have apparently not survived at all, it would seem highly likely, given the impecunious nature of the undertaking, that uniforms were not worn then either. As was the case for most of its other systems, the BETCo appears to have waited for electrification before issuing uniforms, perhaps unsurprising given that the badges and buttons bore the standard BETCo 'Magnet & Wheel' symbol with electrical flashes.