Swindon Corporation Tramways
Owner Swindon Corporation
Opened 22nd September 1904 (electric)
Operator Swindon Corporation
Closed 11th July 1929
Length 3.70 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins
Button description Title (‘Swindon Corporation Tramways’) in circlet surrounding arms (shield divided into five: three crescents on a triangle, three castles, a winged wheel and a bishops' mitre, all beneath a locomotive; surmounted by an arm holding crossed hammers upon a torse), all above motto: 'Salubritas et Industria' (Health and Industry)
Materials known Brass
Button Line reference [114/69]
Comments The locomotive is the 'Lord of the Isles', a reference of course to the Great Western Railway, whose headquarters were located in Swindon.
A torse is a twisted roll of fabric that was wound around the top of the helm and crest to hold the mantle in place.