Wakefield and District Light Railways
Owner Wakefield and District Light Railways Co Ltd
Opened 15th August 1904 (electric)
Operator Wakefield and District Light Railways Co Ltd
Taken over 4th April 1905 (Yorkshire [West Riding] Electric Tramways Company - a subsidiary of the Yorkshire Electric Tramways Construction Syndicate Ltd)
Closed 25th July 1932
Length 16.95 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins
Button description Title (‘Wakefield & District Light Railways Co’) in circlet, surrounding elaborate script initials: 'W&DLR'
Materials known Nickel; brass
Button Line reference [114/76]
Comment The Wakefield and District Light Railway (W&DLR) was actually built by the Yorkshire Electric Tramways Construction Syndicate Ltd, which took it over completely via it's subsidiary company, the Yorkshire (West Riding) Electric Tramways Co Ltd. The YETCo only had one other line - linking Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford - which was physically unconnected to the Wakefield system. Following the YETCo takeover, staff were almost certainly issued with YETCo uniforms and buttons.