South Shields Tramways / Corporation Tramways



Owner South Shields Corporation
Opened 1st August 1883 (horse)
Operator (lessee) South Shields Tramway Company
Closed 30th April 1886
Re-opened 28th March 1887 (horse)
Operator (lessee) South Shields Tramway & Carriage Company Limited
Taken over (operating company) July 1899 (British Electric Traction Company Limited)
Closed 31st January 1906 (on termination of the lease)
Re-opened 30th March 1906 (electric)
Operator South Shields Corporation
Closed 31st March 1946
Length 7.51 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description (Pattern 1) Wheel, magnet and electrical flashes
Materials known Brass; chrome; nickel, black horn
Button Line reference [113/16]

Button description (Pattern 2) Title (‘South Shields Corporation Tramways’) surrounding arms (shield with boat and motto ‘always ready’, surmounted by an anchor) with sailor and lady supporters above date (1850) and words: ‘Courage, Humanity, Commerce’
Materials known Nickel; brass; chrome
Button Line reference [114/66]

Comment Uniforms were first issued following the take-over of the SST&CCo by the British Electric Traction Company Limited in 1899. Photos (see link) suggest that employees wore the standard BET cap badge, and if so (photographic evidence is not conclusive, only indicative) they almost certainly also wore the standard BET pattern button shown above.