Upper Douglas Tramway
Owner Isle of Man Tramways and Electric Power Co Ltd
Opened 15th August 1896 (cable)
Operator Isle of Man Tramways and Electric Power Co Ltd
Taken over 2nd January 1902 (Douglas Corporation), following liquidation of the 'IoMT&EPCoLtd'
Closed 19th August 1929
Length 1.57 miles
Gauge 3ft 0ins
Button description (pre 1902) Currently unknown
Button description (post 1902) Arms (quartered shield with Viking ship, eagle and child, the Three Legs of Man, and a lion; above a scroll containing 'Borough of Douglas'; surmounted by a helmet and crown with elaborate garlands), all above motto: 'Manx Kiannoortys Cheus Thie Jeh Kiannoortys' (Government within a government)
Materials known Brass; chrome
Button Line reference [None]
Comments The Isle of Man Tramways and Electric Power Co Ltd also owned the Snaefell Mountain Railway, the Douglas and Laxey Coast Electric Tramway and the Douglas Bay Tramway, the latter also being purchased by Douglas Corporation following liquidation of the 'IoMT&EPCoLtd'. Photos of staff working the cable tramway, other than taken from a distance, appear not to have survived, however, those taken at a distance do hint at a uniform.
In the absence of specific 'tramway' or indeed 'transport' pattern buttons, it would appear that the corporation used this untitled button for all its services, including both its tramways.