Dudley, Sedgley and Wolverhampton Tramways



Owner Dudley, Sedgley and Wolverhampton Tramways Company Ltd
Opened 7th May 1883 (horse)
Operator Dudley, Sedgley and Wolverhampton Tramways Company Ltd
Closed 18th November 1885 (for rebuilding as a steam line)
Opened 16th January 1886 (steam)
Taken over 6th April 1889 (Messrs Oppert and Fell) - purchased from liquidators
Taken over 18th October 1889 (Midland Tramways Company Limited)
Taken over September 1893 (Dudley and Wolverhampton Tramways Company Limited) - company reconstruction from receivership
Taken over 22nd April 1899 (British Electric Traction Company Ltd) - from receivership
Operator British Electric Traction Company Limited
First electric route 3rd October 1900 - Dudley to Sedgley Depot section
Operator Dudley, Stourbridge and District Electric Traction Co Ltd - a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Electric Traction Company Ltd
Ownership transferred 1st February 1901 (Wolverhampton and District Electric Tramways Limited - a wholly owned subsidiary of BET)
Closed 21st February 1901 (steam-worked Sedgley to Fighting Cocks section - still operated by BET)
Length 5.78 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description
Uniforms not worn

Comment Photographs indicate that staff of the horse and steam tramways wore informal attire (see link) - it is therefore highly unlikely that marked buttons ever existed.