Derby Corporation Tramways



Owner Derby Corporation
Took over 1st November 1899 (Derby Tramways Company [horse])
Operator Derby Corporation
First electric route 27th July 1904
Last horse service 1st June 1907
Closed 2nd July 1934
Length 13.96 miles
Gauge 4ft 0ins

Button description Title ('Derby Corporation Tramways') surrounding stylised shield (badge of the City of Derby)
Materials known Nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [113/25]

Comment The stylised shield is a cut down version of the arms of the City of Derby, the so-called 'buck in the park'. This actually depicts a stag at rest within palings and is supposedly derived from the badge of Richard II. The absence of the stag supporters, as well as the city's motto 'Industria Virtus et Fortitudo' (Diligence, courage and strength), is explained by the fact that these were only granted in 1939, 5 years after the demise of the tramway.