Oldham Corporation Tramways



Owner Oldham Corporation
Opened 16th September 1880 (horse)
Operator (lessee) Manchester Carriage and Tramways Co Ltd
Operator (lessee) 1st August 1885 (Manchester, Bury, Rochdale and Oldham Steam Tramways Company [steam ]) - newly constructed corporation lines within municipal boundary
Took over (operation) 18th October 1888 (Bury, Rochdale and Oldham Steam Tramways Company Ltd) - lease of the former MBR&OSTCo following its liquidation
First electric route 15th December 1900
Operator Oldham Corporation
Taken over 1st November 1901 (lines formerly leased to the BR&OSTCoLtd, with the exception of the Royton to West Street service)
Took over 1st November 1901 (lines formerly leased to the Manchester Carriage and Tramways Co Ltd)
Taken over 28th June 1902 (Royton to West Street service, formerly leased to the BR&OSTCoLtd)
Took over (operation) 1st August 1903 (Lees Urban District Council) - 0.36 miles of newly built line within the Lees boundary
Took over (operation) 1st November 1904 (Royton Urban District Council) - 4.08 miles of rebuilt line within the Royton boundary
Took over (operation) 15th November 1904 (Crompton Urban District Council) - 1.48 miles of newly built line within the Crompton boundary
Took over 15th June 1925 (Chadderton to Mill Hill Bridge route of the former Middleton Electric Traction Company, purchased by Chadderton Urban District Council and immediately sold to Oldham Corporation) - initially worked as a joint committee consisting of the municipal authorities involved
Took over (operation) 9th August 1925 (Oldham boundary to Middleton service; owned by Middleton Corporation and leased to Manchester Corporation Tramways)
Closed 3rd August 1946
Length 25.18 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Title (‘Oldham Corporation Tramways’) surrounding arms (shield with a chevron, three owls and three rings, surmounted by a helmet with an owl upon a rock rising from a circlet) all above motto: ‘Sapere Aude' (Dare to be wise)’
Materials known Brass; nickel; chrome
Button Line reference [114/53]

Comment The owls, as well as 'Aude' in the motto, are subtle but humorous references to local pronunciation, ie 'Owdham' or Owldham'.