Middlesbrough, Stockton and Thornaby Electric Tramways
Owner Imperial Tramways Company Limited
Opened 13th July 1898 (electric)
Operator Imperial Tramways Company Limited
Taken over 3rd April 1921 (Middlesbrough Corporation) - lines within the corporation boundary
Taken over 3rd April 1921 (Stockton on Tees and Thornaby Corporations) - lines within the corporations' boundaries
Length 9.61 miles
Gauge 3ft 7ins
Button description Elaborate script initials 'ITCL'
Materials known Brass; nickel
Button Line reference [116/83]
Comment The button opposite was originally ascribed (in Button Lines) to the 'Ipswich Tramway Company Limited'; however, this company did not issue its staff with uniforms (see link), so the attribution is almost certainly incorrect. A much stronger possibility, though still to be conclusively proven, is that it is an issue of the Middlesbrough, Stockton and Thornaby Electric Tramways, which was wholly owned and directly worked by the Imperial Tramways Company Limited. Magnification of a studio portrait of an MS&TET conductor (see link) tentatively suggests that the buttons may indeed have borne script initials.