Newport Corporation Tramways



Owner Newport Corporation
Took over 30th July 1894 (Newport Tramways Company Ltd [horse])
Operator (lessee) Solomon Andrews and Son
Took over (operation) 30th July 1901
First electric route 9th April 1903
Last horse service 3rd November 1903
Closed 5th September 1937
Length 8.55 miles
Gauge 4ft 8½ins

Button description Title (‘County Borough of Newport Tramways’) in circlet, surrounding arms (shield with inverted chevron) surmounted by cherub's head and wings
Materials known Brass; chrome; nickel
Button Line reference [None]

Comment Staff working the corporation's horsecar services were not issued with uniforms, and perhaps surprisingly, neither were their electric car colleagues initially, uniforms only being issued to the latter from 1904 onwards.