Pontypridd Urban District Council Tramways
Owner Pontypridd Urban District Council
Took over 31st October 1904 (lines of the defunct Pontypridd and Rhondda Valley Tramway Co [horse] within the council boundaries)
Opened 5th March 1905 (electric)
Operator Pontypridd Urban District Council
Closed 30th August 1931
Length 5.34 miles
Gauge 3ft 6ins
Button description Title (‘The Urban District Council of Pontypridd’) in circlet, surrounding view of the 1750-built stone bridge spanning the River Taff
Materials known Brass; chrome
Button Line reference [None]
Comments The Pontypridd and Rhondda Valley Tramway was purchased by British Electric Traction in 1898, but when local authority (Rhondda and Pontypridd Urban District Councils) agreement to extend and electrify the system was not forthcoming, BET eventually split the system and sold it to the respective councils.
In the absence of specific 'tramway' or indeed 'transport' pattern buttons, it would appear that Pontypridd Urban District Council used this general titled 'bridge' button for all its transport services - including the tramways - from opening of the tramway system (in 1905) up until the demise of the council in 1974.